Tuesday 3 June 2014

My girlfriend texts too much

Adrian says
I've been spending some time with this girl the last month or so. Last week she gave me her number. And now she texts me every day. I don't mind the occasional message or two. But I'm really not that into this texting thing. I also fear it will lead to us not having anything to talk about when we see each other in person.

How do I tell her I don't really like doing it without making her feel bad/chasing her away? 
 
There is a fundamental difference between the male and female attitude to communicating. For men the purpose is to exchange relevant information. For women, the purpose is to maintain and affirm a connection. No surprise then most men think that their women talk/text too much!
I really would not attempt to stop her texting. When you are together, simply do the majority of the listening and nod and smile a lot - it works for most of us! But keep your ear out for something new and relevant between the standard fare. She will prompt you with questions when she wants you to speak! If she gets concerned about your not saying a lot, explain that nothing's wrong - men just work on an essential information basis.

Don't forget though to tell her how glad you are she's in your life - she needs to hear it daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment